2006-07-10

Funny thing happened on the way to Buy a Used Air Compressor on EBAY.

Very excited today. Just purcahsed my first item off of EBAY. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the net for business and persnol items. I have surfed EBAY sites many times but have never bid. I even have an account I set up back in the 90's, never used it. I needed an air compressor for the plant, got some quotes and choked. I have eaten up a lot homerepo air compressors so I needed a good one and I needed a lot of scfm, 37 plus for one item. Well I bid for the first time and won. Here is a link to my item. LINK



So know you know the reason for the destination. Not really it was Fontana 1 hour east of West Los Angeles. Now the adventure.

I miscaluclted. I got out to Fontna almost three hours ahead of time. Yes that is a lot. That normally is not a problem but had in the car with me three kids of my own and two first cousins the ages 4 to 10 median age 5. Ouch. No problem had my wifes Honda Odessey a very manly vehicle with it over the top GPS. So I searched for parks and historic sites to visit. Did plenty of drive-bys (spelling). Then it happened Jensen-Alvarado Ranch. Drove down a regular looking rsidential street. I thought my wife's GPS was broken. Looked like a dead end or culdesac depending on your tax bracket. All of a sudden two homes were not where they should have been and there was an entrance to I think 45 acres of what is left of the historic site ranch.

Parked the VAN and got out. Wow its hot. We left Santa Monica / Westside it was what 71 degrees farehit. Got in the VAN had the AC full blast opend the door in Riverside and it was 101. It was hot the kids melted but they were free to run and sweat. We walked the property did not know what to expect. Came to some dirty pigs in the shade laying in some cool mud. Turn the corner and there is a beuatiful house, a sqaure brick building, a tower and white linens hanging up. It was a real surprise. Got closer and there was a docent Mrs. Henry. Very nice she asked us what we were doing here. I said I am here to buy a air compressor and I got out here to early. How much time do you have she said. I said about and hour. So here is the hour tour.
Jensen came from Denmark with a cargo laiden ship to Gold Rush San Francisco. Sold everything married a 16 year old Alvarado of Alvarado Street fame of Los Angeles. Had 12 kids 10 became adults. Had a winery and was the social center of the community. The kids can churn butter, clean laundry and churn Ice cream. There is much more like some military guy named Sherman stayed there. Anycase great people, great history not enough time. Definitley and redo.

Next.

Went to kickthe tires on the air compressor. Oh thats right at this time I had not bid on the compressor. Met a great guy named Mark. He is a master tinkerer.His back yard is a man's playground trucks, machines compressors,not abandoned being worked on. The compressor looks great I hope it runs and picked up a drill press for one hundred dollars. Good deal. I hope it runs. Then Mark walked me to behind his home the kids had peeled away to the VAN by now. Well behind his home were a few avocado trees. He handed me the bigest avacados I have seen. As I end this note I am rushing to the end so I can go to the bed. We left had pizza. The end. Pictures Below.

No comments: