2006-06-28

Conversion

It happened on my exciting trip to Indianapolis for committee week of the NPCA*. Yes exciting, it really is. One example of exciting is that the foundations subcommittee is adding a new category to the ICC code book. Basically a new product has been created that will make available precast concrete basements for residential use. Yes, exciting. Why? Because I hope basements can make a come back. I like basements and I think all children and all men do too. Plus maybe Arto Brick can put veneer on the walls.
Well what finally happened, First Class happened. Not on the way out. I am too cheap. I was converted. On the way out I sat next to a grandmother and her 10 year old grandson. No big deal. But they did not stop talking. That alone is not bad but they spoke a language I did not know, on a non stop flight from Los Angeles to Indianapolis. The boy was in my prized (assigned) window seat, prized because I have not flown enough to not care about looking out the window. I made my normal move and said it is okay that he is sitting in my seat. The grandma thought I was being rude. I sat through my prison sentence and got off the plane and forgot about the experience.
No conversion yet. On the journey home while I moved through stranded passengers going east I came to my self check-in terminal, slid my ID in, pressed a few buttons and then a message in red letters popped up on the screen. Not as impressive as the Red letters in the Bible those are of Jesus Christ�s message. Not nearly as impressive I realized the red letters were not due to my error at the terminal or indicating that my plane would be stuck in Washington DC because of bad weather. UPGRADE FOR 100 DOLLARS for the longest leg of the flight - Minneapolis to Los Angeles. I took the bait and later had remorse because I figured it is really not that good in first class or that bad in coach. No conversion.
Indy to Minneapolis. I sat next to a person who needed a seat belt extender. I am a fat man but I was thin now by comparison. The arm rest was up because the person overflowed into mine and there was attitude to go along with it. I was looking forward to first class but still no conversion.
Minneapolis to Los Angeles. I walked half mile for the plane change. Got on the plane and turned right and could not find my seat and realized I was fooled because it looked the same as coach. First class was not that special. Then I looked at the number it was 12 not 4. Turned around went past the curtain and sat down in seat 4C. I was converted; lots of room, friendly service, free food and, if I drank, free booze. I am converted.

*NPCA � National Precast Concrete Association
**ICC � International Code Council

No comments: